Portsmouth’s Top 10 Student Secrets
By Student Cribs | November 7, 2017
With over 22000 students, Portsmouth is a buzzy and vibrant city, full of students and full of life. Your time at University will fly by, so definitely make sure you make the most of everything that Portsmouth has to offer!
To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of our Top Ten Student Secrets, all the things that we definitely think you should be doing, while living in this amazing city and hopefully some that you’ve never thought of or heard of before!
1. Historic Dockyards – starting with probably one of the most obvious. Portsmouth’s historic dockyards are home to both history and entertainment. You can take a boat trip all the way up the harbour where you can see the Navy boats, then around to Gunwarf Quays where you can get off and go for a shop or take the trip back.
2. Victoria Park… to see the guinea pigs – this might sound like an odd one but there’s no better way to clear your mind of work and stress then with some animal therapy! And what is cuter than little fat guinea pigs! There’s also rabbits and birds and the most lovely walk at Victoria Park.
3. Parade Tea Rooms – situated opposite Southsea Common, Parade Tea Rooms is a great place to go if you want cake, milkshakes or delicious lunch options. It’s super easy and you’re guaranteed to have something tasty – a must visit while living in Portsmouth.
4. Palmerston Road– This is potentially somewhere that is not as well known to students, especially first years, however this quaint and pretty shopping area leads down to the common and is filled with markets on the weekends and lots of lovely little coffee shops.
5. Hire Pedalo boats at Canoe Lake – this is probably one to be done in summer but at Canoe Lake you can hire pedalo boats and enjoy the sunshine while on the water. It’s also such a lovely lake to take a walk around, there’s a park to picnic in and the sweetest Café close by.
6. Albert Road – Albert Road is the place to go if you’re looking for somewhere a bit different, a bit quirky and a bit unique. Spend your mornings getting lost in the little shops, somewhere different to the regular busy streets.
7. Feed – Hardly anyone has a clue where this fantastic restaurant is, but it is definitely NOT one to miss! Located past the established restaurant chains in Gunwarf (past M&s and through the tunnel), it is a small restaurant tucked in an archway just under the train tracks. Definitely try the chicken cheese burger and the ridiculously fluffy pancakes.
8. Southsea Rose Gardens – the Rose Garden in Southsea is tucked away just past Canoe Lake. This amazing secret garden is a great place to relax and clear your mind of all the stress of work!
9. Westbury Manor Museum – This one is a little further afield, located just a little outside of Portsmouth, in Fareham is Westbury Manor Museum. It is free to visit and features facts and quizzes to keep you on your toes as you explore all the history that it has to offer!
10. Spinnaker Tower – obviously this just isn’t a secret but what sort of Portsmouth list would be complete without mentioning the fabulous Spinnaker tower. Offering panoramic views of Portsmouth and its stunning harbour, during your three years at Uni you absolutely must take a visit. Also, why take the lift when you can abseil down the side!
! Want to write articles for Student Cribs (and get paid for it!)? Please fill in this short form !
Still house hunting in Portsmouth?
Check out our last Student Cribs before they are all gone or click on the image for more info.
Rooms to Rent Newcastle Under Lyme
Rooms to Rent Stoke on Trent
Student Cribs offer fully furnished rooms to rent in Stoke-on-Trent ST4...