Enter any questions you have about living in one of our Cribs below and it will bring up any frequently asked questions related to your query. If you can not find any information regarding your query then please get in contact with us and one of the team will be happy to help.

Living In Your Crib

Our crib caretakers will attend every month to carry out health and safety checks in your crib to test the fire alarm and emergency lights. We will notify you in advance of when this will be.

Your Crib Manager or a member of the management team will carry out inspections every term. The reason for these inspections are to check all is well in the properties and look for any required works- also it is great to meet our tenants throughout the year!

Here are some quick points that can prevent pests:

·       Try and make a habit of cleaning up immediately after meals. Wash all dishes, wipe down tables or counters, and store leftovers in airtight containers. Cleaning up quickly prevents pests from making their way onto dirty dishes or uncovered foods.

·       When possible, buy food that comes in cans or jars. Pests like insects and rodents can easily chew through plastic, paper and cardboard.

·       Keep more food in the refrigerator or freezer. Few insects and rodents can make their way into these appliances (some food lasts longer when cool).

·       ALWAYS CLEAN! The kitchen needs to be cleaned more often than other areas of the home. Even the tiniest of crumbs can attract pests. Be mindful of brushing away crumbs and sanitising tables and countertops after any type of food prep. Sweep away anything that hits the floor.

·       Take out the rubbish as soon as it’s needed. Allowing rubbish to sit in the kitchen only invites pests over for dinner.·       Keep your cabinets clean! It is important to inspect your cabinets regularly for exposed food, crumbs or signs of a pest invasion.

Dishwashers need salt and rinse aid regularly- the filter also needs to be kept clean and clear of debris as this will cause blockages. How to fill up the salt/rinse aid and how to unblock the filter can be seen here:

Tumble dryers need to be emptied of fluff on a regular basis, not emptying this will cause the unit to overheat and not work correctly. Here is a general video on how to unblock the filters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnBcJEEaVA

Condensation mould forms when there is too much moisture in the air and it hits a cold surface – please take a look at this video which you may find useful in managing and preventing condensation https://youtu.be/ypB2Y81BP7w

If the mould reoccurs after you have removed it and you are not drying clothes inside please report as an issue so we can investigate.

There will be an isolation switch outside the bathroom – please ensure this is turned on before reporting as maintenance.

If your shower is blocked do not continue to shower with it running over the top, as this will cause a leak and damage to the house. You need to unblock showers regularly and ensure the plug is free from hair.

This often happens when the door is attempted to be opened before the door has unlocked after the cycle. Always wait 5 minutes before trying to open the door. If this is the case and it has been forced open this may be something that will require repairs that we may not cover the cost of.  Sometimes, the washing machine will have a drain function, so please use this if possible before opening the door using a piece of string. Refer to this video for a tutorial on this temporary fix/ to get your trapped closed out: https://youtu.be/J7vzWGMvfOM?t=97

Please ensure that you are disposing of your household waste correctly and putting it out on the correct day (preferably the night before as this ensures collection, a lot of students aren’t up at 9 am!). You can search online when collection days are/what you can and can’t put in each bin. *This is important as the council reserve the right to refuse collection if the rubbish is disposed of incorrectly* If you think you need more council bins, please let us know and we can put in a request. You can find information on bin collections on your council website.

Always listen to the most recent email. Unfortunately, our maintenance team may have to attend to emergency problems which can take priority over your maintenance, hence them rescheduling the visit date.

Firstly check with your neighbours to see if this is an area fault. You can also check on the national grid; you can check on this website https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut. There may be something that has caused the electric to trip inside the house. You can check the fuse box and identify what has caused the outage. Often these can be re-engaged – please do not force switches up – if they cannot be re-engaged or the issue repeats itself please report as maintenance.

For general maintenance, reporting it through ‘My Student Crib’  will mean that the issue is resolved as quickly as possible for you. If the issue is an emergency please call the office immediately on 020 3758 7000

It is important to remember that your energy usage is not unlimited. You will be responsible for any additional costs if you exceed your allowance.

Moving Into Your Crib

WiFi is provided in all of our accommodation, and is accessible in each room of the property. Your WiFi access is included in your monthly rent. Due to the nature of WiFi, speeds may vary depending on proximity to the router, the nature of the usage and the number of devices connected at any one time. If you would like to know specifics about WiFi provision at one of our properties please ask your point of contact in the Lettings Team.

Sure thing.

If you were renting a house as a group you would have a group tenancy agreement which you can see by clicking here.

If you’re renting a room you would have an individual tenancy agreement which you can see by clicking here.

Rent Queries

Bank details can be found on our Tenant Portal. Please follow this link.

Currently for 2020/2021 tenants we only have direct debits available for a select number of properties. If this has not be mentioned to you in regard to your tenancy then you’re able to set up a standing order with your bank for your designated rent due dates.

Your yearly rent is calculated as your weekly rent times 52 weeks, divided by 12 payments (monthly) or 4 payments (quarterly).

Please refer to your tenancy agreement to see whether bills are included in your rent.

If you have paid us a retainer, you can deduct this amount from your first rental instalment.

You can still live in your Crib until the end of your contracted period; however you will become liable for council tax during this time. If you no longer want to live in your Crib, we can help you find somebody to take over your contract, however this cannot be guaranteed.

Please give us a call and we will work with you to find the best way in which to pay your rent. Alternatively, you can email us at [email protected]. All rent is due in advance.


Please note, if your payment is more than 14 days late and we have not heard from you, then as per your contract, late payment charges may be applied to your account.

Yes, payment plans can be changed to monthly, quarterly or in line with student loan payments. Please contact us with details of your request and we will get back to you.

The quickest way to pay rent is via the tenant portal. However, payment can be made over the phone, via our website, bank transfer or standing order. Please note there may be a 72 hour delay from making the payment to the payment showing on your tenant portal.


We accept Mastercard and Visa.

Your contract will outline the dates on which your rental payments are due. If you believe you will have difficulty paying on these dates or would like to align you rental payments with your student loans then please contact us to discuss this. Please note that all tenants will need to pay their first instalment of rent before we can release keys to any tenants on joint contracts.

Renting a Crib

Yes, Student Cribs hold a membership for the Propertymark Client Money protection Scheme.

You can view our certification of membership here.

In line with existing Government guidance, in person viewings are still going ahead.

We have implemented the following precautions:

  1. Only 1 person can view at a time, in addition to a Student Cribs representative. The person viewing should dial their group in via Whatsapp / Facetime / Zoom to show them the property.
  2. Masks must be worn at all times by anyone viewing a Crib, and all Student Cribs representatives.
  3. Hand sanitizer must be applied on entry and exit of the Crib.
  4. Anyone entering a property to view has been told to avoid any unnecessary contact with surfaces / items in the Crib.
  5. If tenants are self-isolating, in person viewings are post-poned until the isolation period is over. Video viewings can be booked for these Cribs in the meantime.

You don’t have to be a student to live in a Crib, but you would be liable for council tax. You could find out the cost through the council. If you are not a student, you must be a young professional to live in a Crib.

You are committed under your tenancy agreement to pay the full contracted rent, unless you can find someone to take over the remainder of your contract and there are at least 6 months remaining on your tenancy agreement.

You will not be able to move in before the start date of your tenancy.

This is someone who is willing to guarantee your rent payments on your behalf. This is standard practice with student rental properties due to your employment status. A guarantor is signing the tenancy agreement confirming that they are guaranteeing your obligations in the contract.

Property laws are different outside of the UK. This means that it is not possible for your guarantor to be based elsewhere.

If you do not have a UK based guarantor, you can either use housinghand which will act as a guarantor on your behalf or you can pay all of your rent in one annual upfront payment.

No, there are no fees and no deposits to pay. The £200 holding retainer paid to reserve your property will be deducted from your first month’s rent.

For a limited time only, the holding retainer for Cribs in Stoke and Keele has been reduced to £10.

You will need to pay your rent quarterly. The easiest way to ensure your rent is paid on time is to set up online payments via your internet banking. Many of our tenants have found this to be an easy way of making payments with the added benefit of not having to remember payment dates! Once completed please send a print screen confirmation to [email protected] Alternatively, if you wish to go to the bank to enable payments to be set up for you, please email us for a standing order mandate form. You will then have to fill this out with payment dates and amounts and take this to your bank.

In order to exit your contract you will need to find a replacement tenant to take your room, but only if there is more than 6 months remaining on your contract. The rest of your group will need to agree to this person. Once this is done we can reissue a new contract for everyone to sign. Until the new contract is signed by all parties (all Tenants, all Guarantors and the Landlord) you are legally contracted and obliged to pay your rent.

We can assist with finding a replacement tenant by posting on our Facebook page but it is the responsibility of the tenant to find a replacement once contracted. We will never advocate a potential replacement tenant and it it up to you and your housemates to find and select a replacement tenant.

Make an enquiry on the Student Cribs website and book a viewing using our online booking platform.

All people viewing a property must wear a mask and santisie their hands before entering the property and on departure. All attendants must adhere to social distancing and avoid physical contact with surfaces, furnishings and personal belongings in the property.

Your group will only have the house once all the tenancy details forms have been completed, a contract has been sent out, all tenant and guarantors have signed, all remaining retainers have been paid and all identification for tenants and guarantors received. Then the landlord will contract the property and you will be notified of this by email.

We have no admin fees!! They’re unnecessary, dated and stop you from getting the most for your money.

Our standard tenancy length is 52 weeks, unless you are taking one of our houses which is being refurbished (these tenancies are often slightly shorter).

After paying the holding retainer we ask you to fill out a tenant details link that we email over to your whole group. When this is done we send out the tenancy agreement via email.

You sign the tenancy agreement online. There are clear instructions when you open the document, please ensure you sign your first and last name (no initials).

Joint and several liability means that both individually and jointly all of the tenants are individually and jointly responsible for paying rent and for all other tenants’ responsibilities during the tenancy.

Do not sign the agreement if you do not understand. On page 3 of the contract there are definitions that should help explain anything that is not clear. You can also give us a call or email [email protected] Your university should be able to advise you if there is anything you need clarifying.

We also need you to send us proof of you ID (drivers licence or passport) and we need your guarantor to send us proof of ID and proof of address (utility bill or similar dated in the last three months).

After signing your agreement online it will automatically send us a copy so there is nothing you need to do apart from sign.

Your holding deposit reserves the house for 3 working days. In this time you need to send us your documents and sign the tenancy agreement.

You call the office to pay one £200 holding Retainer. This reserves the property for you and gets the ball rolling. The holding retainer is non-refundable but is deducted from the first month’s rent of the person who paid it. Each of the other members of the house will also need to pay a £200 holding retainer within 2 days after the tenancy agreement is signed.

Make an enquiry on the Student Cribs website and book a viewing using our online booking platform.

Right to Rent Check

No you do not, IF your new agreement begins at 9am on the date that your current contract ends you are exempt from a Right to Rent check, as you are not taking out a new contract with us.  

If you are renting a different property with us, or have a break in your contract, you must have another check carried out, this is because, legally, you are entering into a brand new contract with us.   

We accept a Driving Licence or Passport as a form of ID on the Tenant Form we sent you, to ensure we have the correct documentation from you for the Right to Rent check we require you to submit your Passport/ Acceptable Documents via a separate form.  We take the storage of your data extremely seriously, for more information on our Privacy Policy please visit https://student-cribs.com/privacy-policy/

Yes, an expired Passport is acceptable for the check.  

If you have an upcoming tenancy, you will have received at least one email about right to rent check in the email inbox associated with your tenancy. Please search for this email and follow the instructions contained.

If you do not have a Passport, you will need to provide one “Category 1” document or two “Category 2” documents from the Available Documents list which can be found on Page 3 here.  

A right to rent check is a check of your Passport to verify that you have the right to rent a residential property in the UK.  This consists of comparing a copy of your passport that we must receive in advance with your actual passport in-person. Due to COVID the Gov guidelines for have changed, allowing the passport check to be carried out remotely via video call, with a further follow up check in person once you have moved into your property and restrictions have been lifted.   

Load More